Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I stopped "tri" ing, but haven't given up

Holy heck...two posts in one day!

I have the good fortune of working with a very international staff. The nature of the project draws people from all over the world and, while it is nice to be "blessed" in many languages after a sneeze, sometimes things get lost in translation. While I am usually the one helping translate for my esteemed colleagues, this time they made some things abundantly clear for me.

You may remember me stating publicly that I would be training for a triathlon. Not an IronGirl, but Ramblin' Rose. I have spent most of my life on a bike or in athletic shoes. While I am in the water every chance I get, I have never been a strong swimmer. But. I'm always willing to face a challenge head on. I started running first, thinking the biking would be a breeze. I was dreading the swim portion. After arguing with someone one evening, I wisely chose to go running instead of something self-destructive. And, I felt free. I have run almost every day since. I will never be an elite runner, but I am steadily improving. And the running community has been very supportive and encouraging.

While running, I often pass a younger, fitter colleague that is also tri training. And she rocks it. I didn't feel like I was competing with her, but somehow my heart wasn't in it in the same way. A few days ago. another colleague came in with a bib on from a 5K. I asked him how it went. He grimaced and said something I didn't quite catch. But, what he said next really resonated. He said he enjoyed the camaraderie and it was for a good cause, but that he is a swimmer not a runner. He was happy he did it, but he doesn't plan on doing it regularly.

I am all about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things. Like the day one of my fav teachers sprung hot yoga on us. I live in a place that is like a sauna a good chunk of the year. Why would I go in a room and sweat on purpose? Just not my thing. I love the beach and a good long ride. But I fear I would come to hate swimming and biking if I forced myself to train for a triathlon.

I am a runner. That is clear...even through a language barrier. So, I've revised things a bit. I don't plan to run a marathon, though. I am only half crazy ;)

1 comment:

  1. Never say never on the Marathon. I did and now I have done one and signed up for two more!

    ReplyDelete