Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lent

Lent. As a "recovering Catholic," I grew up knowing this as the holiest time of the year. I was always fond of the discipline. Of giving up things. Purging. Doing good deeds for others. Then, the miraculous rebirth that came about with Easter. The return of "Alleluia." My favorite holiday (well, aside from Valentine's Day). Add to the mix that my son was born in late April and his birthday will often come near Easter, and the holiday does bring such great promise.

This past year has not been kind to me. Really, the last few years have been not so stellar. It wasn't even that I was terribly sad. Or moody. Or miserable. I was just emotionless. The joy had pretty much been sucked out of me.

Well, this year I pledge for it to be different. I am not going to let anyone or anything steal my joy. I am in charge of my emotions and, although I can't control the circumstances, I can choose my reactions to them. So, for Lent this year I am going to return to writing. I have been stifled for far too long. Words, for a long time, were my refuge. My way to communicate. My weapon. I need to write. Maybe they will be read. Maybe not. But, here goes. Forty days of blogging. Of baring my soul. Of becoming me again.


No comments:

Post a Comment